Standard Pre/Post Op Instructions
DAY OF SURGERY:
- Ice outside of face (15 minutes on, 15 minutes off) for the first 36 hours. After 36 hours, moist heat (heating pad) should be used.
- Continue 1 tablet (800 mg) of prescribed Ibuprofen every 6 hours for 5 days.
- No smoking, spitting, use of a straw, alcohol (this includes mouthwash) or carbonated beverages for 1 week.
Remember, NO SPITTING for 10 days after your grafting procedure has been completed.
DAYS FOLLOWING SURGERY
- Continue 1 tablet (800 mg) of prescribed Ibuprofen every 6 hours for 5 days; after 5 days take 1 tablet every 8 hours as needed for discomfort.
- If an antibiotic has been prescribed, take as directed until gone.
- While taking your antibiotic, it is recommended to take a probiotic to aid in easier digestion and less discomfort on your stomach.
- If additional pain medication has been prescribed take as needed.
- Starting 24 hours after surgery, gently bathe the area with warm salt water (1/2 tsp salt per 8oz. water) Do this as often as possible for 2 weeks. If sutures have been placed, swab with toothettes after each meal.
- There is no brushing the surgical site(s), but you may brush all other areas as normal.
- No chips, pretzels, crackers, crusty breads or anything with seeds for 10 days.
- No gum, caramels or sticky food.
- Avoid acidic, spicy and salty foods for 2-3 days, as they might sting the surgical areas.
Some soft food choices: mashed potatoes, pasta, rice, oatmeal, eggs or a protein shake.
- It is normal for saliva to be slightly streaked with blood for 1-2 days.
- If abnormal bleeding occurs, place a piece of moist gauze over the surgical site for 1 hour and bite firmly.
- If bleeding persists: use a moist tea bag wrapped in gauze and bite firmly for 1 hour.
- If heavy bleeding occurs, call the office.
Swelling, bruising and stiffness:
- It is normal after extractions to have some swelling, bruising and stiffness and should not cause alarm.
- These symptoms usually peak on the third day and begin to disappear on the fourth and fifth day.
It is important to limit activities and stay on Ibuprofen to ensure a comfortable recovery period.
- Stitches may have been placed at the surgical site and will be removed in 1 or 2 weeks.
Please note: Some stitches may fall out early (2 to 7days). Do not be concerned by this as plenty of stitches have been placed.